Designing radiant heating systems with pipe-runs as distribution system
|Product|| InstalSystem 5|
|Type of article|| DESIGN APPLICATION|
|Content up-to-date for version|| IS 5.0 Beta 30|
- 1 Scope of lesson
- 2 Modules and program configuration
- 3 Inital state
- 4 Steps to perform
- 4.1 Open new project file
- 4.2 Load cataloues and set default data for the project
- 4.3 Prepare building structure
- 4.4 Edit installation - radiant system
- 4.5 Radiant system calculations
- 4.6 Edit system components data - source of supply temperature
- 4.7 Edit installation - connecting Heating/Cooling Zone components in Tichelmann system
- 4.8 Edit system component data - distribution
- 4.9 Verify the correctness of installation structure
- 4.10 Calculations and diagnostics
- 4.11 Prepare drawing for printing/export
Scope of lesson
This article presents the way of designing radiant heating/cooling systems without using manifolds. The solution includes connecting "Heating/cooling surfaces" in a Tichelmann system. If there is a need to balance individual "Heating/cooling surfaces", conventional flow adjustment is applied by means of valves placed on pipe-runs.
The program also enables making a traditional parallel connection design, where differences in resistances of the flow paths are minimised by specifying large diameters of the "main" pipes (headers). Sample project concerns large-area objects - including open air spaces e.g. sports facilities.
Modules and program configuration
InstalSystem 5 with the module:
- Radiant loop systems.
The building structure (storeys, rooms) is defined. Default data foor rooms, distribution system, underfloor systems are defined.
Steps to perform
Open new project file
| Project files
|| Initial state radiant heating Tichelmann system design|
Example of Tichelmann radiant heating system
|Designed with||InstalSystem 5 Rev. Beta 30|
|Required modules|| InstalSystem basis|
Heating system 5
Radiant loop systems 5
|Project range||Radiant heating|
Basic radiant systems
|Type of building|| public recreation and sports facility|
|Building structure|| Tennis courts, dwg|
|Drawings range||Plan drawing|
|Prepared by|| |
|Legal disclaimer||Copy all or fragments allowed|
|Calculation results|| Complete range of calculation results, xls|
Complete range of available printouts, pdf
Radiant heating calculation results, pdf
Bill of materials, pdf
Installation parameters, pdf
|Drawing results|| Tennis courts, dwg|
Tennis courts, pdf
- Launch InstalSystem 5.
- Open new project and select preferred file version.
For more information, see: Project and application management
- Select appropriate template.
For more information, see: Template files
Load cataloues and set default data for the project
- Load catalogues required for the project.
- Specify the following in section Building and surroundings/Room data:
- Room type,
- Default θi,H,
- Heat loss index Φsurf,H,
- In section Thermal systems/Distribution system/Virtual connections of radiant systems select: Allow system with no manifolds.
- In section Thermal systems/Distribution system/Types and default data specify:
- Default pipe types i Pipe insulation type.
- In section Thermal systems/Radiant systems/Floor systems select:
- Default system / fastening method,
- Default pipe type,
- Pipe laying pattern (Single pipe meander pattern),
- Max. press. drop in circuit,
- Default covering,
- In section Thermal systems/Radiant systems/Coils specify:
- Max. pipe length in loop.
In the sample project, which was created for the needs of this article, some of the data mentioned above (Default θi,H, Max. press. drop in circuit, Max. pipe length in loop), was set outside of their standard values. These sample values can be veryfied in the attached project file
For more information, see: General data
Prepare building structure
For more information, see: Prepare building structure
Edit installation - radiant system
- Insert Heating/Cooling Zone components in the rooms.
- Specify orientation of Heating/Cooling Zone division along its short side.
- Divide Heating/Cooling Zone components in vertical/horizontal plane with regard to required expansion allowances.
- Specify Criterion of division: Heating/Cooling Zone: Pressure loss in circuit.
For more information, see: Heating/Cooling Zone
Radiant system calculations
- Perform radiant system calculations to divide Heating/Cooling Zone into: Heating/Cooling area according to set Criterion of division.
For more information, see: Calculations and diagnostics
Edit system components data - source of supply temperature
- After calculation, the table with control circuit data is shown in General data window, in Thermal systems/Sources section. In control circuit table, one can specify appropriate supply temperature or impose its optimalization.
Edit installation - connecting Heating/Cooling Zone components in Tichelmann system
- Insert Source, by using "Change to graphical element" button, which is located in General data window, in Thermal systems/Sources section. Selecting Source from the toolbar can result in a different value of supply temperature, which has already been set for virtual elements in project.
- Connect Source with Heating/Cooling Zone elements in a Tichelmann system using: Pipe-run components in the AUTO/ORTO modes and the Automatically connect terminal units function. In order to get Tichelmann system, after performing Automatically connect terminal units operation, manual modification of installation is required.
Edit system component data - distribution
- Specify\verify diameters of feed pipes included in: Heating/Cooling area components.
Verify the correctness of installation structure
For more information, see: Verification of the correctness of installation structure
Calculations and diagnostics
- Run project calculations.
- Verify calculation results. Pay special attention to:
- coverage of heat demand in rooms,
- messages about unbalanced flow in circuits - in order to eliminate them, it is recommended to place balancing valves on both installation routes
For more information, see: Calculations and diagnostics
Prepare drawing for printing/export
For more information, see: Prepare drawing for printing/export